I loved the idea of this challenge from The Sewcialists as soon as I saw it. I’m always running off to buy a pattern because I saw another blogger looking fabulous in it. There are so many really inspiring sewists out there but one of my favourite sewing blogs is written by Erica Bunker of ericabunker.com. She’s gorgeous and elegant and has the kind of va-va-voom style I can only dream of. Plus she’s obviously a very accomplished seamstress so an ideal #sewstylehero.
A lot of her outfits whilst amazing on her would not really suit my lifestyle but I thought this dress was very cute. It’s Vogue 9312.
Another reason I picked this project as my inspiration was because Erica had very helpfully posted up her FBA instructions. It’s an adjustment I sometimes need but am not that confident about doing so what better way to learn than to follow someone using the exact same pattern.
I did a quick muslin and sure enough the bodice would have been veeerrrry revealing without the alteration. You’d think they would include cup sizes with a dress design like this – those Vogue packet ladies have no boobs to speak of at all!
Other than the fitting adjustments this is super easy to put together – it’s just 4 pieces! One of the greatest things about sewing your own clothes is the little tweaks you make to suit your own personal style. I have omitted the elastic under the bust which makes the dress a little looser and breezier because I feel more comfortable when my clothes skim rather than hug.
I searched around to see if I could find a black and white geometric print similar to Erica’s. This gorgeous fabric is from Minerva Crafts (it’s still in the sale if you want to pick some up.) It’s a John Kaldor print jersey.
The ‘V’ neck is quite low and so to avoid bra-flash I tied the ties in a double knot quite tightly. This has the effect of lifting the front of the dress up slightly and means that the cut-out bit is hidden. I don’t really mind this – there’s enough skin on show here already and I’m pretending the front rise is a design feature!
I think I’m going to count this as my last bit of summer sewing and set my thoughts to some cooler weather garments. This dress will definitely get worn on the warm days, it’s super comfy and I feel good in it.
If you like bloopers here’s my hubby coming back from putting the recycling out and photobombing me.
So thank-you lovely Erica for the inspiration and thank-you to The Sewcialists for the challenge!
This is the first garment made completely in the new house and so was a good test of my new cutting table which is actually a fold-down trestle table from Amazon.
I used to cut out on the dining room table but that’s not practical now I do all my sewing in the garden cabin! I don’t have enough space to keep a table up all the time so this was a pefect solution.
This is the Sew Over It ‘Eve’ dress.
I have actually made this dress before to wear to a wedding last year. I was happy with how it looked but I never wore it again for two reasons. Firstly the fabric just felt a bit weird – it was a very slippery viscose, can’t remember where from, but you know how some fabrics just don’t feel too nice against the skin, well that was this. It’s sad because I really loved the print.
Secondly it really gaped around the wrap front. I’d forgotten this until I made the second version and exactly the same thing happened (It brought back memories of desperately searching for a safety pin the morning of the wedding to prevent a wardrobe malfunction later in the day)
Continue reading “Sew Over It Eve Dress”
I have a lot of luck with Closet Case patterns, I’ve made several and they seem to fit me without too much alteration and I really like their styles.
I’m writing this in the middle of a heatwave in the UK. We moved into our new house at the beginning of May and although we moved less than 10 miles it feels like we relocated to another country as the weather has just got hotter and sunnier since then. I got rid of a lot of clothes when we moved and because we’ve not had a really good summer for years in this part of the world I suddenly found myself severly lacking in the hot weather dressing department.
Luckily I had cut the fabric out for this pattern in the old house but hadn’t had chance to finish it before we had to start packing. I carted the pieces here so my first project was just a case of stitching it up!
Apart from shortening the skirt (at 5’3″ I have to shorten pretty much everything) I didn’t make any other alterations.
It’s a pretty simple pattern to sew together, the trickiest bit is the little oblong at the front where the ties come out of. The instructions are very clear but I think the technique of inserting a square of fabric into another piece like this is one that needs some practise for me. I’m quite happy with how it turned out though. If you don’t look too closely it looks ok.
Continue reading “Closet Case Charlie Caftan”